All nations educate their their children and adults for a variety of purposes.
The most important visible reason they do this is to give the citizens the necessary skills to handle technology, manage government and business institutions, and help maintain the laws of the land. A modern nation without people who can do these will simply cannot function, no matter how rich its natural resources are.
However, the larger and other necessary goals of education should be:
- To expand the mind’s horizons.
- To enrich the student’s life with the knowledge of the wonders of the world as revealed by Science.
- To instill in the student an appreciation for art and music, poetry and philosophy,
- To encourage the student to respect all cultures of the human family.
- To teach the student to weigh dispassionately the different sides of controversial issue, and to give freedom of expression for the opponent’s view.
- To enable the student to honor all the non-hurtful dimensions of every religion of the human family.
- To strive for social justice, economic fairness, and gender equality in his/her own country, and all over the world.
- To develop compassion for the suffering, and think of ways in which he/she can help the less fortunate.
- To make the student realize questions relating to the Ultimate are Grand Mysteries which should provoke awe and humility in us, rather than dogmatic certainty as to their correct answers.
20 April 2017